From the Boston Globe:The Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion & Public Life last week reported a finding that at first blush is stunning: the more often one attends religious services, the more likely one is to say that the use of torture against suspected terrorists is at least sometimes justified. And white evangelical Protestants are the most likely subgroup to offer at least some support for torture, while those who are not affiliated with a religious denomination are the least likely.
The full article cites the Pew Center's findings well. I am not sure if I am shocked by this - my take son the torture issue is that it's always presented in a certain way, and then it leads to a forgone conclusion. I think religion does this "here's your positioning" move quite well, and there may be evidence of it here.
Here's the Quaker take, at least that of New York Yearly Meeting's:
Update: QuakerQuaker is discussing this as well...


No comments:
Post a Comment