Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cuba


Forget About Fidel

Things are changing in Cuba, however slowly. The United States should be a part of shaping their direction.
- Richard Haass (Newsweek)
The American policy of isolating Cuba has failed. Officials boast that Havana now hosts more diplomatic missions than any other country in the region save Brazil. Nor is the economic embargo working. Or worse: it is working, but for countries like Canada, South Korea and dozens of others that are only too happy to help supply Cuba with food, generators and building materials. Those in Congress who complain about the "offshoring" of American jobs ought to consider that the embargo deprives thousands of American workers of employment.
Great article in Newsweek by Richard Haass. The full text can be found here.
I have a very different perception of Cuba now that I have spoken with people who have recently visited there. I didn't really have ANY notion of what the country was like before, but now I keep thinking of the people and our similarities.

No comments:

Post a Comment