Saturday, May 23, 2009

Here we go again...

“Afghanistan taught us an invaluable lesson . . . It has been and
always will be impossible to solve political problems using force. We should
have helped the people of Afghanistan in improving their life, but it was a
gross mistake to send troops into the country.”
– Retired Red Army General Boris Gromov.


I'm working through Haass' newest book right now, doing a lot of thinking about war around memorial day. I am glad so many come out to pay tribute to brave men and women - but wouldn't it be nice to honor them, and the ones that are still alive, by deciding NOT to go into yet another war?

I don't really know enough about Afghanistan to accurately state all the facts yet, but I am learning pretty quickly. I am too young to really have known anything experientially about Vietnam, and Iraq #1 started when I was also really too young to have an opinion. I Had this false hope that perhaps the Iraq history and mess-ups would be so recent that we might learn form our mistakes. Now I fear we're on our way into Afghanistan, in surprisingly similar fashion, and we haven't learned a darn thing.

Some Afghanistan facts from AFSC

No comments:

Post a Comment