Friday, May 15, 2009

A must-read from Haven Kimmel

Haven Kimmel writes amazing stuff - check out her books sometime. But now she has written what I think is the single best argument I have heard yet for the LEGAL passing of gay marriage rights. Not only a constitutional argument, but one that clearly states what the hetereosexuals might LOSE is they keep up this ridiculous, discriminatory path (I like the appeal to the greed of the heterosexuals).

I can't quote from it, because I can't decide which paragraph is the most important. But as someone who's had this on the brain for awhile now, it was great comfort for me to read.

Oh, and this is Haven Kimmel - who also wrote the GREAT blog post explaining how yes, the Quakers are EXACTLY like the Amish (LOL). For this I will excerpt just one question/answer:

Q: Are the Quakers the same as the Amish?

A: Although the Amish were founded by a Dutch Anabaptist during the Protestant Reformation, Jakob Ammann, and thus were considered an order of the Swiss Mennonites; and although they speak German (or Pennsylvania Dutch); and although they keep themselves entirely separate from the ‘world,’ or the apostate; have no electricity or phones, and drive horse-drawn buggies on the open road, and the Quakers were founded by George Fox and Margaret Fell during the English Reformation, and spoke English; and although Quakers take it as a directive to change the world through acts of philanthropy and social justice, such as The American Friends Service Committee (which won the Nobel Peace Prize); and although we drive cars and I am typing this on a laptop plugged into a surge protector in an electrical outlet, YES, we are the same as the Amish. We are, essentially, the Amish.

No comments:

Post a Comment