Tuesday, August 4, 2009

More NEYM

I have read this blog before, but today it is linked through Martin Kelly - and I had no idea this person was a local! This is a great summary of some points of the week thus far:

http://petersontoscano.wordpress.com/



I am home at rest today - last night I had a nice evening with M and her friend (also M) - pizza, crafts, general toddler mayhem. My walk on the beach this morning was certainly refreshing, and everything seemed all new and shiny. A good reminder for me that what I have experienced this week thus far was in ME, and therefore will continue to travel from Smithfield and beyond within me.



More days of discernment, some great messages shared, some hard work being done. I am happy to see that so far I was indeed able to get out of my own perceptions, and can see the value in the people here even if we all are so different in some ways.



I thought for me the theme of Jubilee would translate into "not pursuing new activities/venues/"busyness". What has emerged for me thus far is the theme of letting go - to old values, perceptions, grudges, things that trap me. What will stick with me first and foremost from this week is what spoke to me - "what do I need to let go of?"

* a definition of "smart" that focuses on my accumulation of college credits, not necessarily experience and true wisdom.
* a need to do everything "right now"
* a fear that my health will fail, that causes me to make poor decisions in the current moment
* a concern that I must be the one to "fix" my family

Only the tip of a very large iceberg. But today I feel a new clarity and wisdom, from watching others grapple with what they need to let go of. Perhaps we're all letting go, but it's moved us to hold on to each other, which is indeed an unintended and lovely aspect of Jubilee.

2 comments:

  1. Hey you are at NEYM too. Cool. We should have a blogger meetup :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peterson - I actually had read your blog before, and had no idea until it ended up on Quaker Quaker that you were here. Thank you for articulating the kindness that I have seen around me this week, despite hard issues. I kinda expected only the anger, and there is much goodness here too. Peace! (and yes, we should have a blogger meetup)

    ReplyDelete