
Morning greeted me today on Hampton Beach with fog and mist. As it was cool and not crowded, I chose to walk down by the water, and went south instead of north.
I've been musing a lot about paths these days - how we find them, how we discern them, and most often how they find us. I have a few major trends emerging, resurfacing again in my thoughts, mostly around education and travel and strengthening connections. They all seem disjoint and unrelated, but I am hoping for the day when their interconnectedness becomes clear to me. I suppose I assume that's the day I'll be more clear on how to proceed.
As I walked the beach, I noticed a trickly stream headed to the sea from up the beach. Someone had obviously tried to block the water's path yesterday with some stones in a makeshift dam, the remnants of which remained. I stood there in the stream, as the water flowed around my feet, and noticed how the water was blocked, and yet always found a way to proceed to the sea. This spoke to me quite strongly - as I watched that little trickly head south to join the rest of the massive ocean.
I have, and have always had, deep yearnings for fellowship, worship, education - all in community. Even when my particular path was unclear, the theme of community was strong. In my clearest moments of peace and rest, it is present. I think that's the thread I am still following after all this time. I may try to block with with small stones on my path , but that direction always flows through me, back to the Source.
I will eventually be involved in some discernment around all this with good Ffriends. I am hoping these small moments that I am noticing are tools to help me along the way!
The Way It Is
There’s a thread you follow. It goes among
things that change. But it doesn’t change.
People wonder about what you are pursuing.
You have to explain about the thread.
But it is hard for others to see.
While you hold it you can’t get lost.
Tragedies happen; people get hurt
or die; and you suffer and get old.
Nothing you do can stop time’s unfolding.
You don’t ever let go of the thread.
~ William Stafford ~


No comments:
Post a Comment