Monday, July 19, 2010

Trusting in the Change

Scituate, MA Elementary Honor Band with Thomas C Duffy, Yale. Commissioned work rehearsal, Spring 2008


If we dwell in the presence of God, we shall be led by the spirit. We do well to remember that being led by the spirit depends not so much upon God, who is always there to lead us, as upon our willingness to be led. We need to be willing to be led into the dark as well as through green pastures and by still waters. We do not need to be afraid of the dark, because God is there. The future of this earth need not be in the hands of the world's 'leaders'. The world is in God's hands if we are led by God. Let us be led by the Spirit. Let us walk with a smile into the dark.

Gordon Matthews, 1987


A few years ago I was in a job that I loved. It was a long commute, and some other hassles, but I had opportunity to work with great people, I was respected in the job, and was doing good, creative work with great kids. Budget cuts put my position in jeopardy, and I had to consider whether it was feasible to find work somewhere else. The employment kept coming back and leaving, and it seemed it would stay and all would be well, around the time I had a big concert/gathering of students. At that event in the lobby, I found myself telling a colleague, "well, this might all still work out. Perhaps this is the place for me".

At that moment I felt a strong sense telling me simply "This is NOT it". I have no idea what that was, exactly - except it was right. Soon after I was offered another position, and although I was not sure it was the right move, I accepted the job and it turned out to be exactly what I needed at that time.

How often as this happened? When I am open to it, more times than I can count. Quakers call it "Way opening" - Julia Cameron calls it "listening to the Universe".

When our highest self becomes actualized, it seems like all is "right" with the world. Robert Fritz calls this "The Path of Least Resistance". Fritz does not say that the path is an easy one - it is just the path we are meant to be on, and we do not resist it. In Quakerly terms, we are given leadings, able to see Openings,and discern a direction. In my case of late, it seems also to mean some pretty amazing cases of "Synchronicity" occur as well! Fritz also says this opens us up in a state of Transcendence...

The other life-building principle is transcendence – we can transcend the consequences we have put into motion. Cause and effect are suspended. Past actions do not become manifested in future outcomes. The past, no matter what it has been, is no longer a dynamic that must play itself out. Not only do we recognize the past is over, it is no longer at issue. We are able to re-create our lives anew. -Fritz

I feel called to return to that space right now. I have not really been dwelling there for a long time - I just visit. The "visits" let me glimpse a brighter, deeper way of being, but the effort to leave the tedium of some of my day-to-day commitments has been a strong pull. Time to take that leap!

“I have learned, as a rule of thumb, never to ask whether you can do something. Say, instead, that you are doing it. Then fasten your seat belt. The most remarkable things follow.” - Julia Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment