Thursday, July 15, 2010

Standards

This morning, as I walked the Hampton seacoast, I though about standards. I am asked to do this often in the field of education - and I am sure I do it subconsiously in many areas of my life.

I was told once by a well-meaning (and caring) F/friend, "you have really high standards for members of your community". That was months ago, but it rose in me today. At the time, I disagreed. At that time, it implied that I was judging others, critical of their behavior if it didin't fit my standard.

I imagined that differently today in the hazy mist of morning. My standards are very high indeed. They are what I seem at the moment to call Christ's Standards. There's really only one - "love everybody". That's it. High? You betcha. Unattainable? For everybody I've met thus far.

I think what my F/friend was speaking of were my expectations. I am figuring out if those are in the right place. Do I expect others in my meeting to "fix" my problems? Do I expect them to hold to that standard of universal love, in all situations, without failing or struggling as we humans often do? I hope not.

I do, however, expect them to listen to me. And to sit with me in fellowship and prayer as I figure out next steps on a spiritual path. I'm not sure where that falls in the "reasonable" realm. It seems, at the moment, to be the right question to be asking - and I am blessed today to have found this query.

No comments:

Post a Comment