Saturday, October 10, 2009

Settlin' in




Yesterday I finally felt like I had settled into my job. I saw the kids not as classes of kids that needed to be disciplined, controlled, or led with an iron fist, but as individuals - and I relaxed.

I walked into this job with many perceptions of how I would need to "create" discipline. And yet, I have happily found that if I work hard to provide a lesson I believe in, the discipline takes care of itself. If I am so excited that we MUST sing this new song, play theses instruments, the kids sense that and shape up!

There is no substitute for an overwhelming need to share your subject with passion and careful attention. It does not erase the "problems" - but it puts them into perspective. I am looking forward to a good year of risk taking with these kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment