Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Untying knots by the light of the rising sun





Children and lunatics cut the Gordian knot which the poet spends his life patiently trying to untie. - Jean Cocteau

This morning's beach walk was clear and breezy. I still feel restless, like there is a problem to be solved, a journey to be embarked upon, and I suspect the lesson of patience is still on my horizon.

As I clicked on the radio and started the car, Henry Purcell's "The Gordian Knot United" was announced. I sat and watched the waves roll in, and listened, and thought about knots.

The Gordian knot, beyond its history, has become a metaphor for a particularly difficult problem, one with no seeming solution that one must be willing to cut away in order to solve. Perhaps that slashing represents the "out of the box" thinking (my own well-used metaphor). Today it seems to me to be an impatient rush to solution, that eliminates the healing and wisdom of the journey and process of finding a new pathway.

A little internet research this morning also reveled the healing power of the Gordian Knot. In fact, many people wear them as spiritual jewelery with healing properties...

"Three are the circles of existence:
The circle of Light where dwells nothing but God and only God can traverse it.
The circle of Chaos, from which all things by nature arise from death.
The Circle of awareness where all things spring from life."
Emerald tablet of Thoth

I'm not really sure I need to start wearing anything, my current practice of Spirit works fine for me. But today I do feel more open to new avenues of learning. I see in today's musings a reminder that some problems contain a gift in the solving, more so than the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment