Saturday, January 16, 2010

CERTAINTY

CERTAINTY

Certainty undermines one's power, and turns happiness
into a long shot. Certainty confines.

Dears, there is nothing in your life that will
not change - especially your ideas of God.

Look what the insanity of righteous knowledge can do:
crusade and maim thousands
in wanting to convert that which
is already gold
into gold.

Certainty can become an illness
that creates hate and
greed.

God once said to Tuka,

"Even I am ever changing -
I am ever beyond
Myself,

what I may have once put my seal upon,
may no longer be
the greatest
Truth."

~ Tukaram ~

Trying to be flexible. We had a big Peace Center event this week - it went well, it was well attended, we became more informed. However, it left me feeling an absence of a more immediate impact. While I know we cannot ever know the impact of our actions in the long term, the discussion of the evening focused around our country's going to war, while so many other planetary concerns are growing at an alarming rate. How do we also address those concerns, locally, in our own environment, as we seek to create a better future for all of us?

My whole graduate degree, in fact perhaps my whole life since, has been a focus "outside the box". We will need this skill if we are to combat the future problems of the world. I found myself trapped this week in a perception of what "peace" should look like. I felt limited, powerless, unable to help anywhere. But by letting myself be open to the problems as they really are, not just as I perceive them, I may be able to slowly find a new way to solve them. Not all of them, certainly not even the large ones, but at least a small local difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment